LH1598 Pedlar People Ltd. World War II
- Mystery Question
- Can you help identify any of these women?[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black-and-white photo of the original photo of Pedlar People staff during World War II.
Gentleman in white coat, bottom left is Orville MacInally. The inscription on the photograph has his named misspelled.
- The Pedlar People Ltd. began as a small store on the corner of Bond and Simcoe Sts. in the 1840s by Henry Pedlar. Eventually a sheet metal plant was built behind the store, which was taken over by his son, George H. Pedlar. George Pedlar bought a large piece of land at the corner of Simcoe and John Sts. which expanded rapidly leading the firm to be incorporated in 1911. In 1920 the plant was moved to a new location on the east side of Simcoe Street South at First Avenue. The land on John St. was sold to Oshawa to be used for Memorial Park.
During World War II, like many of its contemporaries, Pedlar People employed female workers for the factory to replace their male counterparts who had gone to serve overseas.
- "WWII Pedlar People Ltd. Mel Terry, 2 Orville MacMally, 1-Ed Hembley 7 Sept 45"
- Date of Original
- September, 1945
Width: 15 cm
Height: 10 cm
- Personal Name(s)
- MacInally, Orville (1890-1965) ; Terry, Melbourne Wesley (1908-1962)
- Corporate Name(s)
- Pedlar People Limited
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.90012 Longitude: -78.84957
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Location of Original
- PHOTO BUS B-003 000196
- please credit Oshawa Public Libraries, Local History Collection
- Oshawa Public LibrariesEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:
Newspapers are not yet digitized. Please contact us for scanned articles.
Nicole Adams, Local History and Genealogy Librarian
65 Bagot Street
Oshawa, ON L1H 1N2
905-579-6111 EXT 5253