History of the Town of Newmarket
- Trewhella, Ethel Willson, Author
- Media Type
- Item Type
- In 1953, Ethel Willson Trewhella was commissioned by Newmarket Town Council, following a recommendation from the library board, to write a history of the Town’s early years. Trewhella was a local author and historian who had already written a couple of histories, The Yonge Street Quakers, published in 1937, and The Story of Sharon, which was made available in 42 installments in the pages of The Era and Express newspaper during 1951 and 1952. For her writing and work with the Sharon Temple, Trewhella was honoured with a lifetime membership in the York Pioneer and Historical Society.
It took her several years to complete her research and write the book. It wasn’t until 1957 that she completed the manuscript and presented it to the Town.
For a number of years several different town councils and committees were divided over what to do with the manuscript. At one point a major Canadian book company was approached about publishing the book, but the company felt it wouldn’t be financially feasible since it was likely only going to appeal to a small readership. As the years went by deliberations continued, and the book was put in storage.
Then in 1967, ten years after the manuscript was completed, town council decided to print 600 unedited copies. Sadly, Mrs. Trewhella didn’t live to see its publication; she had passed away in 1959. However, in recognition of her achievement town council dedicated the book to her.
- Date of Original
- Language of Item
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Location of Original
- Newmarket Public Library - Local History and Genealogy Collection
- Newmarket Public LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
438 Park Ave.
Newmarket, ON L3Y 1W1