Newspapers and Indices for Ontario's community newspapers
We found 148477 matching items.
Contributors: Cobourg Public Library   Sort by:  Relevance
gallerylist with thumbnailslist
St. Peter's Anglican Church and Rectory 
Image  c.1890  St. Peter's Parish was founded in 1819. The original church was replaced in 1854 by a large brick church designed by Kivas Tully, pictured here. The rectory was also replaced but at a later date, by this handsome brick structure
Old Scotch Kirk and old Cobourg poem 
Image  1908  Among the pioneers who settled in the Cobourg area at the beginning of the 19th century were many from Scotland. They sought to establish the kind of church to which they had been used to in Scotland and despite many difficulties, the result of their labour is St.Andrew's Presbyterian Church. The...
Old Scotch Kirk Cemetery 
ImageComments:  1931  The boy in front is Edwin Guillet, son of E.C. Guillet.The old Scotch Kirk was located on King St. West at Ontario St.
Diocesan Theological Institute in Cobourg 
ImageComments:  c. 1848  In 1842, Bishop John Strachan founded the Diocesan Theological Institute in Cobourg, an Anglican seminary that became integrated into the University of Trinity College in Toronto in 1852. It fell under the direction of his friend and former pupil, the Reverend Alexander Neil Bethune. The Trinity...
St. Peter's Anglican Church 
Image  c. 1910  King St. East The parish of St.Peter's was founded in 1819, with the first wooden church being built in 1820. In 1851 construction started on a new brick church of some 7000 sq ft, designed by Kivas Tulley, who also designed the famous Victoria Hall, Cobourg. The new church, which had a steeple,...
Methodist Church, Cobourg, Ontario 
Image  1916  Located on the east side of Division St. at the corner of Chapel St. It's orgins dates back to 1824 as a frame building, which was replaced in 1852 by this brick building. The name Trinity United was adopted around 1928.
St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church 
Image  4 Jan 1937  Located on Bagot Street. The fire of 1937 which destroyed the church. This photograph was taken January 4, 1937 at around 11 pm. There was a very high wind blowing. It appears the first meetings for public worship were around the mid 1820s. In 1833 the Presbyterians met for worship in a building...
St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, West Side 
Image  4 Jan 1937  The devastating fire of 1937. Taken January 4, 1937 at 11pm. It appears the first meetings for public worship were around the mid 1820s. In 1833 the Presbyterians met for worship in a building that stood on what is now the corner of George and Orange Streets. The original stone church was built...
St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, East Side 
Image  4 Jan 1937  Fire on the eve of January 4, 1937. Taken at 11 pm. A very high wind was blowing. It appears the first meetings for public worship were around the mid 1820s. In 1833 the Presbyterians met for worship in a building that stood on what is now the corner of George and Orange Streets. The original...
St. Andrew's  Presbyterian Church, East side of Sunday School 
Image  4 Jan 1937  Fire on the eve of January 4, 1937. Taken at 11pm. It appears the first meetings for public worship were around the mid 1820s. In 1833 the Presbyterians met for worship in a building that stood on what is now the corner of George and Orange Streets. The original stone church was built late in the...
St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, East Side 
Image  4 Jan 1937  Post Card of the fire of January 4, 1937. Postmarked January 5, 1937, 10:30 am from Port Hope. "Here it is. I had to leave a letter I was writing you to get pictures. Presbyterian Church, nothing left but the bolts. Sunday night started at 10 o'clock. This was taken at 11 p.m. Letter following....
St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, East side of Sunday School 
Image  4 Jan 1937  January 4, 1937. Taken at 11pm It appears the first meetings for public worship were around the mid 1820s. In 1833 the Presbyterians met for worship in a building that stood on what is now the corner of George and Orange Streets. The original stone church was built late in the fall of 1833 on the...
Methodist Church, Cobourg Ontario 
Image  C. 1910  It's orgins dates back to 1824 as a frame building, which was replaced in 1852 by this brick building. The name Trinity United was adopted around 1928.
St. Peter's Anglican Church, Cobourg 
Image  c. 1920  King St. East In spring of 1820 a small church was built on the present site and was completed in December of the same year.In 1851 construction started on a new brick church of some 7000 sq ft, designed by Kivas Tulley, who also designed the famous Victoria Hall, Cobourg. The new church, which...
Interior of Trinity United Church 
Image  c. 1960  This photograph shows the altar and organ of Trinity United Church. Church is located on Division Street.
Interior of Trinity United Church 
Image  c. 1960  This photograph shows the altar and organ of Trinity United Church.
St. Peter's Anglican Church 
Image  c. 1960  King St. East The parish of St. Peter's was established in 1819 with the first wooden church being built in 1820. In 1851 construction started on a new brick church of some 7000 sq ft, designed by Kivas Tulley, who also designed the famous Victoria Hall, Cobourg. The new church, which had a...
Calvary Baptist Church, King St. West, Cobourg 
Image  c. 1960  Located at 237 Ball St. In May 1885 the first recorded motion to organize a Baptist church was recorded and by September 18th of the same year the first service was held in the YMCA Hall with delegates from seven neighbouring Baptist Churches. In the same year a lot was bought on the north side of...
St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, King St. West, Cobourg 
Image  c. 1960  In 1937 the cornerstone to this new building was laid. It appears the first meetings for public worship were around the mid 1820s. In 1833 the Presbyterians met for worship in a building that stood on what is now the corner of George and Orange Streets. The original stone church was built late in...
Grace Christian Reformed Church 
Image  c. 1960  Located on King St. East, Cobourg In 1954 a small group of families met for worship at a country church in Wicklow. They were most Dutch and wanted to preserve their Calvanistic heritage. Some people from Trenton and Bowmanville joined and in 1956 instituted the Grace Christian Reformed Church of...
Sort
Media Types
Contributors
Years
Map
Map of locations associated with these pictures. Click on a balloon to do a geographic search.
Subjects

Only the top 50 will appear here.

Accidents (518) Alnwick/Haldimand Township (152) Alumni & alumnae (708) Art (189) Art Gallery of Northumberland (195) Artists (450) Artists / Authors (513) Authors (347) Automobile racing (143) Awards (451) Baltimore (222) Baseball (189) Big Brothers Association--Cobourg District (149) Brighton (326) Cameco (242) Campbellford (163) Cancer (156) Capitol Theatre (Port Hope) (262) Cobourg (236) Cobourg - Architecture (206) Cobourg - Businesses (1627) Cobourg - Courts (1298) Cobourg - Development (558) Cobourg - Downtown Businesses (191) Cobourg - Fires and fire prevention (307) Cobourg - Harbour (221) Cobourg - History (405) Cobourg - Police (1561) Cobourg - Politics & government (1696) Cobourg - Recreation (212) Cobourg - Sports (978) Cobourg - Streets (226) Cobourg Cougars (Hockey Team) (401) Cobourg District Collegiate Institute East (489) Cobourg District Collegiate Institute West (628) Cobourg Public Library (1255) colborne (461) Community service (157) Cramahe Township (462) Crime (978) District School Board #14 (146) Downtown Business Improvement Area (223) Entertainment (252) Festivals (259) Fires (162) Fund raising (1285) Ganaraska Region Conservation Authority (226) Gifts (173) Golden Plough Lodge (153) Grafton (331) Habitat for Humanity (210) Haliburton Kawartha Pine Ridge District Health Unit (257) Hamilton Township (388) Hamilton Township - Politics & government (394) Hamilton Township - Politics and Government (196) Historic buildings (229) Horizons of Friendship (162) Ice hockey (1148) Industry (159) Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board (500) Music (161) Musicians (154) Name Index (1114) Northumberland Big Sisters (151) Northumberland County (768) Northumberland County - Health Care (160) Northumberland County - Politics & government (815) Northumberland County - Waste disposal (150) Northumberland Health Care Centre (299) Northumberland Hills Hospital (1051) Northumberland Hills Hospital Foundation (144) Northumberland Mall (257) Northumberland O.P.P. (428) Northumberland Players (182) Northumberland United Way (198) Ontario Humane Society--Northumberland Branch (174) Police (213) Political elections (256) Port Hope (1316) Port Hope - Businesses (367) Port Hope - Police (325) Port Hope - Politics & Government (339) Port Hope High School (198) Port Hope Public Library (217) Retirements (197) Rotary Club Of Cobourg (246) Royal Canadian Legion Branch 133 (Cobourg) (166) Schools (217) Soccer (158) Sports (489) St. Mary's Secondary School (Cobourg) (332) Tournaments (159) Trinity College School (Port Hope) (148) United Way (528) Veterans (171) Victoria Hall (282) Victoria Park (196) Volleyball (146) Warkworth (154) YMCA Northumberland (406)
Item Types
Features
Groups
gallerylist with thumbnailslist
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit