Newspapers and Indices for Ontario's community newspapers
We found 66 matching items.
Year:  1970  Contributors: Cobourg Public Library   Sort by:  Relevance
gallerylist with thumbnailslist
Haynes Printing Co. 
Image  c.1970  Division Street location Haynes Printing Co.Ltd was established in 1950. It was formed with the publication of the Cobourg Times, one of Canada's first photo offset newspapers and Cobourg's first to feature a weekly coloured comic section. Eventually the decision was made to phase out the...
Canadian General Electric 
Image  c1970  Photograph of plant when it was located on Division Street. Now known as Canada Pallet. Known as G.E.Plastics which opened in Cobourg in 1946. The new plant is located in Hamilton Township on Normar Rd. (Used to be Borg-Warner). Canadian General Electric Company, Cobourg, Ontario
Illahee Lodge 
Image  c. 1970  Located at 110 Ontario St. South Lakelands was originally built in 1878 and was later the residence of William Riddell. He obtained the first B.Sc. to be granted by Victoria College, Cobourg, in 1877, and later became an eminent lawyer. In 1906 he became a Justice of the Supreme Court of Ontario....
Victoria Hall 
Image  c. 1970  Victoria Hall was started in 1856 and completed in 1860. It was designed by Kivas Tully of Toronto. It was officially opened by the Prince of Wales on September 7th, 1860. In the 1960s Lenah Fisher began tireless efforts to restore Victoria Hall which began in earnest in the 1980s and continues to...
Marie Dressler House, Reception Room 
ImageComments:  c. 1970  Lenah Field Fisher, right, Brenda Wilson, middle, in reception room in Marie Dressler House, King Street West This home was owned by the Field family and rented to von Koerber. It was a restaurant for awhile and it now the Tourist Information Centre with rooms dedicated to Marie Dressler
Victoria Opera House 
Image  c. 1970  Located in Victoria Hall before restoration began. (80ft. long, 45ft. wide, 35ft. high) This magnificent room is the core of Victoria Hall. It had a wooden floor (not on springs as at one time claimed) supported by pine beams bolted together, each about 6 inches wide and about 20 inches deep...
Cobourg War Memorial 
Image  c. 1970  This cenotaph is located in Victoria Park and was built in the early 1920s.
Gore's Landing and the Rice Lake Plains Book Launching 
Image  1970  Catherine Milne, Norma Martin, and Donna McGillis at a book launching ceremony in Gores Landing.
C. H. J. Snider's Yacht 
Image  c. 1970  Left to Right: C.H.J. Snider; a friend of Mr. Snider; a friend of Murry B. Smith; Madeline Rooney; Captain Dan Rooney, Dan (Madeline's father).
106 Bagot Street 
Image  ca.1970  This beautiful Greek Revival Cottage was built around the 1850's by William H. Floyd.
293 George Street 
Image  ca.1970  This Greek revival cottage shows up on the 1874 town map but its date of construction is still uncertain. It is likely to have been built around the late 1850s, early 1860s since this style was popular at this time.
363 George Street 
Image  ca.1970  This Ontario Gothic cottage was built by John Cullingford (local druggist) in 1856. He also conducted his business from this building.
Reynar Home 
Image  ca.1970  77 Havelock Street This solid square house was built in 1876. It was as a wedding present for Dr. Alfred Reynar, professor of English literature at Victoria College, and his bride, Ida Hayden, from her parents.
80 Havelock Street 
Image  ca.1970  This stately Victorian house was constructed completed in 1880 by William Bond, a contractor and builder. It is graced with the unusual features of elaborate stone quoins, and stone lintels with worked keystone, over each window.
Chatterton Residence 
Image  ca1970  50 Havelock St. This fine brick residence was built this in 1851 by R. D. Chatterton, who came to Cobourg about 1830, and was the first editor of the Cobourg Star, which began publishing in 1831. Its proportions, massing, and detail give it a decidedly English flavor.
Cedar Hedge 
Image  1970  465 George Street In 1854, James Crossen, proprietor of the Cobourg Car Works married Margaret Hayden, sister of John Hayden. Both were children of Reverend William Hayden, who was instrumental in the development of the Congregational Church in Canada. Originally known as Cedar Hedge, Crossen...
Fairlawn 
Image  ca.1970  447 George Street Originally built in 1870 by James Crossen for his son William, this large vernacular Victorian house was just south of Cedar Hedge. William remodelled it in 1895 which then made it a fine example of the Queen Anne Style. In 1910 the addition was added to the south and the inside...
The Poplars 
Image  ca.1970  18 Spencer St. E. In 1815, Loyalist John Kelly Spencer purchased 160 acres in what is now the centre of Cobourg from the son of Eluid Nickerson, Cobourg's first settler. He subdivided it and in 1827 built the Poplars on the northeast portion of his property. Spencer Street was named after Sheriff...
Woodlawn 
Image  ca.1970  420 Division Street. This residence was built in 1835 by Ebenezer Perry, who first arrived in Cobourg in 1815, and became first Chairman of the Board of Police Commissioners, which preceded a Town Council as governing body of the town. Woodlawn, as it is called, is an outstanding example of...
411 John Street 
Image  ca.1970  A very elegantly proportioned house, it was built by William Hitchins, a well-to-do grocer, around 1857.
Sort
Media Types
Contributors
Years
1970s 1970197119721973197419751976197719781979
Map
Map of locations associated with these pictures. Click on a balloon to do a geographic search.
Subjects

Only the top 50 will appear here.

Item Types
Features
gallerylist with thumbnailslist
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit