c. 1848 In 1842, Bishop John Strachan founded the Diocesan Theological Institute in Cobourg, an Anglican seminary that became integrated into the University of Trinity College in Toronto in 1852. It fell under the direction of his friend and former pupil, the Reverend Alexander Neil Bethune. The Trinity...
This curiously modern note is entirely typical of Ruttan. He became convinced that everything people in those days thought about heating and their health was wrong. So certain was he, that in late 1848
he gave a talk on it, to the Cobourg Mechanics Institute.
In his speech, he explained, in philosophically...
... from the Cobourg Star October 11, 1848
SHAMEFUL AND DISGRACEFUL CONDUCT
We learn with suprise and deep regret, that the Cobourg and Port Hope Road Company have placed a tollgate an their road, although only just gravelled. This is one of the most outrageous pieces of imposition ever...
... Tollgates (Information compiled from Pioneer: Inns and Taverns by Edwin Guillet)
- A tollgate was placed on the Port Hope - Cobourg Road, by the Cobourg Road Company, much to the indignation of the public in both towns. A few days later the toll house and gate was burned.
...Article from the Toronto World, October 1848
regarding the Town of Cobourg
Source: Toronto World, October 1848
Acquired: May 29, 1993
Map of locations associated with these pictures. Click on a balloon to do a geographic search.
Only the top 50 will appear here.