Newspapers and Indices for Ontario's community newspapers
We found 12586 matching items.
Decade:  1980  Contributors: Cobourg Public Library   Sort by:  Relevance
gallerylist with thumbnailslist
Cobourg District Collegiate Institute West 
Image  1984  This new Collegiate was built in 1902 on King Street West when the original Collegiate built in 1870 and located at 117 King Street East(across from St. Peter's Rectory) became overcrowded. In 1960 became known as Cobourg and District Collegiate Institute West, when the new high school was built...
Shopping centre 
Image  c. 1982  Birds-eye view of shopping centre, showing Metropolitan Store, Dominion Store, and York Super Pharmacy, Division Street, Cobourg. Located on the east side of Division Street, south of the tracks. The original York Pharmacy is still located here. Cobourg's store was established in May 1956 by...
Canadian General Electric 
Image  c. 1980  Photograph of location on Division Street. Now known as Canada Pallet. Known as G.E.Plastics which opened in Cobourg in 1946. The new plant is located in Hamilton Township on Normar Rd. (Used to be Borg-Warner) Cobourg General Electric - home of G.E.Plastics, Cobourg, Ontario, Canada
Victoria Hall, Cobourg Marina, Barnum House, and Floral Clock, Victoria Park 
Image  1981  Cobourg & District Chamber of Commerce, 55 King Street West, Cobourg, Ontario K9A 2M2 (416) 372-5831 (back). Greetings from Cobourg & District Chamber of Commerce (front)
Hewson House 
Image  1 Oct 1988  332 Henry Street. In October of 1859 Victor Hewson's great-grandfather Andrew Hewson, one time postmaster, brought his new wife to their new house at 332 Henry St. It was owned for many years by other families but in the late 1970s was bought by Victor Hewson who restored it to its original state....
Dr. Wade residence 
Image  c. 1980  King Street East, west of D'Arcy Street.
Victoria Hall 
Image  c. 1980  ...Victoria Hall was started in 1856 and completed in 1860. It was designed by Kivas Tully of Toronto. It was officially opened by the Prince of Wales on September 7th, 1860. In the 1960s Lenah Fisher began tireless efforts to restore Victoria Hall which began in earnest in the 1980s and continues...
Marie Dressler House 
Image  c. 1980  This home was owned by the Field family and rented to von Koerber. It was a restaurant for awhile and it now the Tourist Information Centre with rooms dedicated to Marie Dressler. Notecard. Marie Dressler was born in 1873. Her father Charles von Koerber was organist at St. Peter's Church and...
Dressler House Dining 
Image  c. 1980  Shown is the birthplace of Marie Dressler, 212 King Street West, Cobourg, Ontario. Marie Dressler was born in 1873. Her father Charles von Koerber was organist at St. Peter's Church and introduced Leila to the town's dramatic, musical and theatrical activites. During her professional career she...
Second Street Fire Hall 
Image  1987  This recently restored Second Street Fire Hall, built c. 1883, is now home of the Northumberland Players.
Cobourg Store-Fronts
 
Image  1987  Store-fronts come and go throughout the years, but on the the main street of Cobourg many upper storeys retain a 19th century facade.
Victoria Hall 
Image  1987  ...Victoria Hall was started in 1856 and completed in 1860. It was designed by Kivas Tully of Toronto. It was officially opened by the Prince of Wales on September 7th, 1860. In the 1960s Lenah Fisher began tireless efforts to restore Victoria Hall which began in earnest in the 1980s and continues...
Victoria College 
Image  1987  Edward Crane was the architect and builder of Victoria College in 1836. It was built as the Academy of the Methodist Church and became one of Canada's earliest degree-granting universities in 1841. Egerton Ryerson, was its first president. After forming a vital part of Cobourg's academic and...
Victoria Park 
Image  1987  Victoria Park with its beach, band shell, bowling green and baseball diamond still has great expanses of lawn and flowers.
Model School 
Image  1987  One of the more historic buildings of Cobourg, the Lydia Pinkham building began as a public school in 1874 and within two years it became a Model School where people came to be trained as teachers. Then it became the home of the famous Lydia Pinkham's Pink Pills for Pale People (a vegetable...
St. Peter's Anglican Church 
Image  1987  King St. East The parish of St. Peter's was established in 1819 with the first wooden church being built in 1820. In 1851 construction started on a new brick church of some 7000 sq ft, designed by Kivas Tulley, who also designed the famous Victoria Hall, Cobourg. The new church, which had a...
Illahee Lodge 
Image  1987  110 Ontario Street South. Lakelands was originally built in 1878 and was later the residence of William Riddell. He obtained the first B.Sc. to be granted by Victoria College, Cobourg, in 1877, and later became an eminent lawyer. In 1906 he became a Justice of the Supreme Court of Ontario. Mr....
Trinity United Church 
Image  1987  Bank of poinsettias face the congregation of Trinity United Church. It's orgins dates back to 1824 as a frame building, which was replaced in 1852 by this brick building. The name Trinity United was adopted around 1928. Located on the east side of Division St. at the corner of Chapel Street, it...
Victoria College 
Image  c. 1981  Commemorative placemat. this is number 24 in the series. Picture is entitled "Cobourg- A closer look".This fine example of Greek Revival Architecture opened in 1836 as the Methodist Church's Upper Canada Academy. In 1841, it was incorporated as Victoria College with Rev. Egerton Ryerson as its...
Victoria Hall Opera House 
Image  ca 1980  (80ft. long, 45ft. wide, 35ft. high) This magnificent room is the core of Victoria Hall. It had a wooden floor (not on springs as at one time claimed) supported by pine beams bolted together, each about 6 inches wide and about 20 inches deep spanning the width of the hall. Now the floor is...
Sort
Media Types
Contributors
Years
Map
Map of locations associated with these pictures. Click on a balloon to do a geographic search.
Subjects

Only the top 50 will appear here.

Architecture (5) Architecture - Cobourg (47) Art Gallery of Northumberland (6) Awards (3) Baltimore (3) Barnum House (9) biographies (7) Birthday parties (3) Birthdays (8) Celebrities (3) Cemeteries (3) Central Ordnance Depot (4) Chambers of commerce (8) Charles T. Thomas (4) Churches (4) Churches - St. Peter's Anglican Church (4) Churches - Trinity United Church (3) City and town halls (3) Climo Family (28) Cobourg (22) Cobourg - Business (15) Cobourg - Description (5) Cobourg - Legal System (9) Cobourg Newspapers (3) Cobourg - Politics & government (3) Cobourg - Sesquicentennial (6) Cobourg and Peterborough Railway (5) Cobourg District General Hospital Auxiliary (3) Cobourg Family Y (20) Cobourg Garden Club (8) cobourg harbour (9) Cobourg Lawn Bowling Club (4) Cobourg Public Library (109) Cobourg Yacht Club (10) Commerce (11) Complax Corp (10) Concert Band of Cobourg (7) Conservation and restoration (6) Consumers Gas Co. Ltd. (9) Cook's School Day Care Inc. (6) Correspondence (21) Cortesis Jewellers ltd. (3) Cramahe Township (4) Crossen Family (5) Dale Road Public School (3) D'Arcy Place (15) Death (4) Diamond Triangle Economic Development (23) Downtown Business Improvement Area (27) Dressler House (9) Dressler, Marie (5) Dwellings (6) Eldorado Resources Ltd. (13) Elections - Canada - Cobourg (6) Elections - Ontario - Cobourg (17) Factory Creek/ Hill (4) Fareshare (13) Fellowship Baptist Church (5) Field Family (3) Finnan, Aengus (4) Fires (4) Fisher, Lenah (4) Fitzhugh Family (4) Ganaraska Region Conservation Authority (21) Girl Guides of Canada - Cobourg District (14) Golden Plough Lodge (21) Gore's Landing (11) Haldimand Township (6) Haldimand Township - Politics and Government (53) Haliburton Kawartha Pine Ridge District Health Unit (20) Halls, Brad (4) Hamilton Township (5) Hamilton Township - Politics and Government (86) Harbors (4) Historic buildings (19) Horizons of Friendship (12) Industry (17) Jim Leonard (4) Kinsmen Club of Cobourg (14) Kraft General Foods (10) Local Architectural Conservancy Advisory Committee - Hamilton Township (5) Men (6) Merwin Greer Public School (4) Name Index (308) Northumberland Players (45) Northumberland Recycling (6) Ontario Energy Board - Hearing on Haldimand Tp. LNG Project (11) Ontario Hydro (6) Ontario Provincial Police - Cobourg Detachment (5) Percy Climo (25) Public libraries (12) Royal Canadian Legion Branch 133 (Cobourg) (9) Russell, Foster Meharry (14) Rutherford, Charles (5) Schools (6) St. Andrews Presbyterian Church (7) Strapex (4) Trinity United Church (10) Victoria College (4) Victoria Hall (39)
Item Types
Features
Groups
gallerylist with thumbnailslist
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit