LH2525 Oshawa Lawn Bowling - Pedlar People Ltd. Team
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Black-and-white photo of the Pedlar People Ltd. Store League lawn bowling team for the year 1947-48.
- The first known instance of organized lawn bowling in Oshawa occurred at Prospect Park, owned by Eli Edmondson. A piece of land which would later become Parkwood Estate. By 1907 the club had grown, and moved to occupy part of the Williams Piano Co. on Richmond St. In 1923 the club moved to a space at the corner of Simcoe and Alexander Sts. and utilized 10 rinks. After another move to MacMillan Drive and Colborne Street in 1939, the club opened its current facility at the Northview Community Centre on Beatrice Street on Canada Day 1990. --
The Pedlar People Ltd. began as a small store on the corner of Bond and Simcoe Sts. In the 1840s by Henry Pedlar. Eventually a sheet metal plant was built behind the store, which was taken over by his son, George H. Pedlar. George Pedlar bought a large piece of land at the corner of Simcoe and John Sts. which expanded rapidly leading the firm to be incorporated in 1911. In 1920 the plant was moved to a new location in South Oshawa, and the land on John St. was sold to Oshawa to be used for Memorial Park.
- "1947-8 Oshawa Store League Pedlar People Team (champions)
- Date of Publication:
Width: 25 cm
Height: 20 cm
- Personal Name(s):
- Jack George, Eric Pimm, Ray Mock, Hank Sarowsky - Seated L-R: Murray Sparks, Pop Beamis"
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Date:
Oshawa Public Libraries
Agency street/mail address
Local History and Genealogy Librarian,
65 Bagot Street,
Oshawa, ON L1H 1N2