LH1598 Pedlar People Ltd. World War II
- Mystery Question:
Can you help identify any of these women?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Black-and-white photo of the original photo of Pedlar People staff during World War II.
Gentleman in white coat, bottom left is actually Orville MacInally. The inscription on the photograph has his named misspelled.
- The Pedlar People Ltd. began as a small store on the corner of Bond and Simcoe Sts. in the 1840s by Henry Pedlar. Eventually a sheet metal plant was built behind the store, which was taken over by his son, George H. Pedlar. George Pedlar bought a large piece of land at the corner of Simcoe and John Sts. which expanded rapidly leading the firm to be incorporated in 1911. In 1920 the plant was moved to a new location in South Oshawa, and the land on John St. was sold to Oshawa to be used for Memorial Park.
During World War II, like many of its contemporaries, Pedlar People employed female workers for the factory to replace their male counterparts who had gone to serve overseas.
- "WWII Pedlar People Ltd. Mel Terry, 2 Orville MacMally, 1-Ed Hempbley 7 Sept 45"
- Date of Original:
- September, 1945
Width: 15 cm
Height: 10 cm
- Corporate Name(s):
- Pedlar People Limited
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
Oshawa Public Libraries
Agency street/mail address
Local History and Genealogy Librarian,
65 Bagot Street,
Oshawa, ON L1H 1N2