LH1731 Cedar Dale Public School
- Mystery Question:
Can you help identify any of the other students?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Black and white photo of the interior of a classroom at Cedar Dale Public School; Fairley Evans second row from left. The photo has some tearing damage.
- In 1867, a greyish brick school was erected in an area known as "Cedar Dale" which became East Whitby in 1868. The community grew around the old Grand Trunk Railroad, S.S. #2. A further addition to the school was needed in order to accommodate a growing population of children. In 1919, the original six-roomed school house was erected for a cost of $42,000. Miss Belle Swanson was the first principal. Later, the school was renamed Bobby Orr P.S. North, and was merged with another area school in a new location on Ritson Rd.
Resource: Education in Oshawa from settlement to city by J. Douglas Ross. This book can be borrowed from Oshawa Public Libraries: 370.971 ROS
- "Cedardale - Fairley Evans 2nd row from left, 6th seat from front white blouse with sweater over shoulders"
- Date of Original:
- early 1900s
Width: 18 cm
Height: 12.5 cm
- Local identifier:
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
Oshawa Public Libraries
Agency street/mail address
Local History and Genealogy Librarian,
65 Bagot Street,
Oshawa, ON L1H 1N2