One of this district's oldest residents, Mrs. William Alvin Patterson, died Thursday, August 3rd, at Grimsby in her 98th year. She had been active and in good health until about 2 weeks ago.
The former Henrietta Wismer, she was born on the lake shore near Vineland August 31, 1853. Mrs. Patterson was the last surviving member of a large family. Her parents, the late Mr. and Mrs. Philip Wismer, were pioneers in the Vineland district.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Patterson moved to a dairy farm at Smithville, where they resided for a number of years. In 1899 Mr. Patterson built a home on No. 8 highway just east of Grimsby and went into fruit farming. Mrs. Patterson had lived there ever since.
Mr. Patterson, who for many years was Assessor and Tax Collector for North Grimsby township, died in 1942, a few years after the couple celebrated their golden wedding anniversary.
A Presbyterian before church union, Mrs. Patterson was a devoted member of Trinity United Church, Grimsby. At one time or another she was actively associated with all the women's groups of that church and for several years served as president of the Ladies' Aid.
She leaves a son Emery Patterson and a grandson, Owen Patterson, both at home.
The remains rested at the Stonehouse Funeral Home, Grimsby, where the Rev. C.R. Duncan conducted a private funeral service on Saturday afternoon at 2:30 p.m.
Casket bearers were Fred Kitche, Alfred Dow, Gordon Lipsit, J.H. Taylor, A. Hasty and Wm. Phoenix, Stoney Creek.