Mr. and Mrs. Robert H. Potter, 35 Fairview Road, Grimsby, will celebrate their golden wedding anniversary on Sunday, July 9th, 1950.
They are holding open house from 2 to 5 and from 8 to 9 to receive the good wishes of friends and relatives. Their three daughters and three sons will be with them for the occasion.
Before coming to Grimsby, Mr. and Mrs. Potter resided for 33 years on Lincoln Avenue N., Beamsville.
Grimsby Independent 13 July 1950 - Mr. and Mrs. Robert H. Potter, Fairview Avenue, were at home to friends on Sunday, and over 150 guests signed the guest book as the well known and highly respected couple celebrated their golden wedding anniversary.
Together with their three daughters and two sons, Mr. and Mrs. Potter welcomed their many relations and friends, most of them from the Beamsville area, where the Potters resided for 33 years prior to moving to Grimsby a year ago.
From 2 until 5 in the afternoon, and again from 8 until 9 in the evening, well-wishers came to offer their congratulations, and to enjoy a tasty lunch prepared and served by Circle No. 1 of Trinity United Church, Beamsville - a group of ladies with which Mrs. Potter has long been associated.
The living room of the Potter home was a riot of color, enhanced by many baskets of beautiful summer flowers sent by the Beamsville Women's Institute, Trinity Church, Niagara Packers Ltd., and others. Mr. Potter is one of the original members of Niagara Packers Ltd., being a successful fruit grower on Lincoln Avenue, Beamsville until his retirement a few months ago.
Messages and cards from friends who were unable to attend were received from many points, including cablegrams from England, telegrams and cards from British Columbia, Washington, as well as from points not so distant.
The Potters received numerous gifts, including a lamp from the church circle, and a little gift from two little kiddies on Fairview, who have already come to look upon Mrs. Potter as a beloved "Nanna".
A beautiful three-tiered cake centred the table, the cake having been made by Mrs. T. Milner Potter who, although visiting in England at present, was determined to play a part in the celebration of this event.
All five children were with their parents on Sunday as were 5 of 6 grandchildren. The family is comprised of Miss Lillian Potter, Pembroke; Miss Ella Potter, Hamilton; Mrs. Richard (Bessie) Coultes, Hamilton; Robert C. Potter, Riverside, and T. Milner Potter, Beamsville.
The late Rev. F.M. Mathers, of the Kerr Circuit, joined the couple in holy wedlock on July 10, 1900, the ceremony taking place on the front lawn of the family home at Grimsby Centre, with 75 guests in attendance. Mrs. Potter's bridesmaid, Mrs. Herman Jackson of Fulton, the former Annie Nelson, was present on Sunday for the observance of this happy occasion.
Following their marriage, the Potters took up residence in Hamilton, later moving to Burlington, Stoney Creek and finally to Lincoln Avenue, Beamsville. Besides fruit growing, the couple have always maintained greenhouses, and together they spent many long hours preparing plants for sale to growers throughout the district. Hardworking folks through the week, Mr. and Mrs. Potter have been just as conscientious in church affairs and with their deep understanding of human nature with always a friendly welcome to all, it is easily appreciated why so many of their acquaintances dropped in to offer their congratulations on this, the day of observing 50 grand years of partnership.