After more than half a century of service in the ministry, the Rev. Arthur C. Eddy, former assistant minister of Centenary United Church, died Saturday at his home, 932 King Street East, Hamilton. He was in his 79th year.
Born in Scotland, Ont., the Rev. Mr. Eddy had preached in churches in this district for the last 56 years.
He received the degree of B.D. from Victoria College in 1894 and in 1900 the degree of B.A. from the same college.
Mr. Eddy was ordained in Norfolk Street Methodist church, in Guelph, in 1896.
During his ministry of 8 years in the St. Ann's and Tintern charge, he became familiarly known as the "marrying pastor". He married more couples than any other minister in the Niagara Presbytery.
Before church union, Mr. Eddy was financial secretary of Palmerston and Brantford districts and chairman of Simcoe and Mount Forest districts. He was a former chairman of the Niagara Presbytery of the Hamilton Conference of the United Church.
He had pastoral charges in St. Catharines, Clifford, Drumbo, Springfield, Jarvis, Mount Forest, Beamsville, Rockwood, Winona, Wiarton, Brantford, Lynedoch, Binbrook, and St. Ann's and Tintern.
The Rev. Mr. Eddy was appointed assistant minister of Centenary United church in 1941. He continued in that capacity until five years ago, when he suffered a stroke. Since his recovery, he had served as pastoral visitor, caring for spiritual needs of the sick and shut-ins of the church.
Surviving are his wife, the former Annie Potter, whom he married in 1901; two sons, foster B. of Hamilton, and Carson P., of Toronto; and one sister, Mrs. E.M. Wood, also of Toronto.