Egbert M. Smith of Winona on January 26th attained his 89th birthday on January 26th and celebrated same with his daughter, Mrs. T.E. Norris, in London.
He was the great-grandson of Silas Smith, U.E.L., who was born in Ludgate, Sussex, England, emigrating to New Jersey. In 1787 Silas crossed the Niagara River and settled on the Fifty Mile Creek, and built a home on the property now owned by Mrs. Huerter, thus becoming the first settler in this district. He drew 600 acres of land from the government and was granted the Crown Deed on May 17th, 1802.
Silas' son, Ananias, was born in 1794, and his son, Ransom, born 1836 (for over 30 years clerk of Saltfleet Township), was the father of Egbert.
In 1815 Ananias built the house later remodelled by Egbert, who was one of this district's most successful fruit growers. His interest was not all in material things, for he was a strong supporter of St. John's Anglican Church and was people's warden for 33 years. His vitality is remarkable considering his advanced age.