Noted Entomologist and Former Grimsby Resident - Ill Only a Short Time - Was Author of Many Books
(Ottawa Evening Journal) - The death occurred late Saturday evening, June 7th, at a local hospital, of Mr. R.C. Treherne, chief of the division of field crop and garden insects, entomological branch Department of Agriculture. His illness was of very short duration and his death will be a great shock to his many friends.
Mr. Treherne joined the Dominion entomological service in 1909, and from then until 1911 conducted investigations in New Brunswick and Ontario. In the latter year he was transferred to British Columbia and occupied the position of field officer until 1915, when he was placed in charge of the federal entomological work of the province and also acted as provincial entomologist, thus coordinating all such work in the province, resulting in the building of an excellent organization. In 1921 and 1922 he was lecturer on entomology at the University of British Columbia. In the latter year he was promoted to the important position of chief, division of field crop and garden insects, entomological branch, Ottawa.
Mr. Treherne was born at Aldershot, England, March 24, 1886. In 1909 he was graduated from the Ontario Agricultural College, Guelph, receiving the degree of B.S.A. He was a member of a number of important societies, American Association of Economic Entomologists, Entomological Society of Ontario (vice-president), Entomological Society of America, Association of Economic Biologists (England), Entomological Society of London, England (Fellow). He was the author of many important works in entomology. His death is certainly a distinct loss to applied entomology.
He recently took an active interest in the Rover Scout movement and was a member of the Rideau Tennis and other athletic clubs.
He is survived by his wife, an infant son, and father, Major-General Sir Frances H. Treherne, Woodbridge, Suffolk, England.
NOTE: R.C. (Dick) Treherne was well known and had many friends in the Grimsby district, having at one time owned and operated in conjunction with W. St. G. Ryan, the old Bradt farm on the highway, east of the Park Road, close to Clinton township line. He was a visitor to Grimsby on May 24th. - Ed.