(Globe and Mail) - Prominent city architect, Roy Hartnell Bishop, 61, died Tuesday, December 28, at Sunnybrook Hospital after 3 months' illness. Since 1945 he had been an architect for the Dominion Stores.
Mr. Bishop was in charge of a postwar building plan which included the remodelling of the old York Arsenal into a head office for the Dominion Stores and had designed many new stores throughout Canada.
ED. NOTE - Mr. Bishop was well known in the Grimsby district for many years, being a nephew of A.F. Hawke, and a brother of Mrs. John B. VanDuzer of Winona, and for many years was a frequent visitor to the district.
Born in Toronto, he graduated in 1912 in architecture from the University of Toronto.
Veteran of the First World War, he served from 1914-1919 with the Royal Canadian Engineers in France and Germany and held the rank of lieutenant-colonel. He was wounded at Ypres and Arras and was twice mentioned in dispatches for outstanding work in tunnelling at Vimy and for bridge construction at Cambrai.
Mr. Bishop took his battalion into Germany as part of the army of occupation and was located for 9 months on the Rhine at Bonn.
Mr. Bishop also saw service in the Second World War, joining the RCAF in 1940. After a year as chief aerodrome control officer, Trenton, he was posted to Uplands to take over the tower during the filming of Captains of the Clouds.
He served for a year in the North Atlantic as RCAF conducting officer, making 12 crossings. He was also stationed for 10 months at No. 1 M Depot, Toronto.
From 1919 to 1924 he was a partner in the firm Chapman, Oxley and Bishop, architects for the Toronto Harbor Commission.
In 1924 he established a business bearing his name, with offices in Toronto and Oshawa, and continued until 1940. Mr. Bishop was responsible for expansion building of the General Motors in Oshawa and a large housing development, of the CPR Hotel, Sault Ste. Marie, and many other important architectural projects in Canada.
He was a member of the Ontario Association of Architects and the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada. He was a director of the Military Engineers Society of Canada and chairman of the society's Toronto branch.
He leaves his wife, Caroline Stewart Bishop, of 28 Maple Ave., and two sons, Brian and Don.