Robert Henry Lewis, former mayor of Grimsby, and active in municipal life in the town of Grimsby and Barton Township for 55 years, died at his home on Kidd Avenue on Thursday morning last.
He was a member of town council from 1931 to 1935 and Mayor of Grimsby in 1936-37, and was a councillor again for 1938-42. He was nominated for the year 1943 but declined the nomination. During his years as councillor he was Chairman of the Board of Works and spent a great deal of time in looking after the interests of the municipality on this very important committee.
He was born in Barton Township in June, 1866, a son of the late John and Maria Lewis. He farmed in Barton and Saltfleet Townships for many years, then farmed in North Grimsby until he retired and moved to Grimsby 18 years ago.
It was as a youth of 22 years that he was first elected to the Barton Township Council. Since that time he filled every elective office in both the rural and urban municipalities except the reeve's chair, and every appointed office from pound-keeper to clerk.
His Barton offices included those of assessor, tax collector and road superintendent. It was during his tenure of office as road chief that the first road machinery built in Hamilton by the Sawyer-Massey Company was tested out on Barton roads with Mr. Lewis in charge.
When first elected to Barton council, he often told, there were 22,000 acres of land in the municipality, whereas now, with gradual annexations by the city of Hamilton, there are only a few thousand.
In politics, Mr. Lewis was always active in the Conservative Party interests. In religion, he was a member of the United Church.
Surviving, besides his wife, the former Margery Gillespie, are two sons, Clarence W. and John, both of Grimsby; three daughters, Miss Grace Lewis, Reg.N., of the West Lincoln Memorial Hospital staff; Miss Verna Lewis and Mrs. Armand Hummell, all of Grimsby; also a brother, John Lewis, in Florida; two sisters, Mrs. Ada Bouck and Mrs. Nellie Telfer, both of Hamilton.
Funeral services, which were very largely attended, were held at the Stonehouse Funeral Home on Saturday afternoon, Rev. Geo. McLean officiating. Interment was in Queen's Lawn Cemetery.
Casket bearers were George Nelles, Cecil M. Bonham, James Dunham, C.C. Bourne, Cecil Gowland and P.E. Wilkins.