The marriage of Miss M. Jean Stewart, Toronto, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Hugh T. Stewart, Grimsby, to Mr. Harold James George, Montpelier, Vermont, son of Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd George, Kitchener, took place on Saturday in St. John's Church, Norway. Rev. F.V. Nicholson officiated, with Mr. W.H. Mould at the organ.
A gown of white satin was worn by the bride, made with padded full skirt effect, fan-tail train and lily point sleeves. Her finger-tip veil was held with a coronet of orange blossoms, and her flowers were Better Times roses, lily-of-the-valley and white sweet peas. Her father gave her in marriage.
Miss Elenore Stainton, the only attendant, wore heaven blue bengaline silk, made with high neckline and full skirt with fish-tail bustle back. She carried Butterfly roses.
Mr. Jack George, Kitchener, was groomsman for his brother, and the ushers were Mr. Marshall Cline and M. James McFarlane, both of Montpelier.
The reception was at the Royal York Hotel. The couple left for the Maritimes, the bride travelling in a powder blue suit with hat to match and yellow rose corsage. They will live in Montpelier.
Page 7: Newlyweds are left standing on curb (Toronto Telegram) - Thieves are no respecters of persons, not even of newly-weds. Mr. and Mrs. Harold George, departing in a shower of confetti and good wishes after their wedding Saturday, hurried to the curb - to find their new 1948 Plymouth, in which they were to leave for a tour of the Maritimes, stolen. It hasn't been recovered yet and the keenly chagrined young couple had the beginning of their honeymoon spoiled for them as they finally left in a borrowed car.
[Ed. note: see also July 1, 1948 issue of The Independent for a photo. Location of church is given as "Norway, Toronto".]