Clarence H. Rushton is fatally injured
Grimsby Independent, 27 Nov 1947, p. 12
Media Type
Item Type
Date of Publication
27 Nov 1947
Date Of Event
25 Nov 1947
Personal Name(s)
Rushton, Clarence Henry
Language of Item
Geographic Coverage
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 43.20011 Longitude: -79.56631
Copyright Statement
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Grimsby Public Library
WWW address
Agency street/mail address

Grimsby Public Library

18 Carnegie Lane

Grimsby Ontario

Full Text

A former Grimsby resident and for several years manager of the Peach Kings hockey and baseball teams, Clarence Henry Rushton, 43, proprietor of the Rushton Restaurant, Dundas, was fatally injured early Tuesday morning in what police described as a tussle with a customer. In a futile attempt to free his father from the customer's grip, Clarence "Bud" Rushton, 17,suffered arm injuries.

Constable James Wadge said he was patrolling the streets about 1:30 Tuesday morning when he was called to the restaurant. The constable said the customer was on top of Mr. Rushton and when he separated them, the proprietor could not get up.

Dr. Clarence Bates was summoned and reported Mr. Rushton dead.

Clarence Rushton, Jr. told police that the customer had argued with him about a bill, paid some hours earlier during the supper hour. He said his father, who was sleeping in a rear apartment, had been awakened by the shouting.

"He told the man he couldn't use such language in the restaurant," according to the son, "and when he opened the door the man jumped on him."

Mr. Rushton struck his head several times as the pair tussled near a booth and the youth suffered a sprained wrist in trying to assist his father.

An aftermath of the struggle was the appearance in Hamilton Court of James Winston Ferris,31, of Dundas, on a charge of manslaughter. The charge was preferred by Earl Jack, Chief Constable at Dundas.

Ferris was remanded until December 11 and bail was set at $5,000 cash or two sureties of $5,000 each.

Mr. Rushton came to Grimsby from Hamilton in the early thirties and purchased the barber business of Frank Johnson which he operated for some years, later adding an electrical appliance line and conducting a news agency. Two years ago last May he sold the barber business to Charles Clattenburg and opened what is now the Fruit Belt Restaurant which he disposed of a year ago and went to Dundas.

Between 1936 and 1945 he successfully managed several championship hockey and baseball teams in Grimsby and was well known to the sporting public of Ontario.

Surviving are his wife and son and his mother, Mrs. Susan Rushton of Grimsby.

The remains are resting at the Stonehouse Funeral Home where funeral services will be held this (Thursday) evening. The remains will be shipped to Tara by C.N.R. train on Friday morning for interment.

Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.


Clarence H. Rushton is fatally injured