Believed to have been a victim of coal gas fumes from the furnace, Bruce Graham, 18-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. J.A. Graham, North Grimsby township, was found dead in bed at his home late Saturday afternoon. A Great Dane dog and a cat were found dead in an adjoining room. The youth and animals are thought to have been dead since about midnight Thursday.
A former student at the local high school, where he was prominent in basketball and other athletics, he had returned last week from Texas, where he had accompanied his parents who had intended to remain there until spring. He was staying alone at the family home, on No. 8 Highway near the Grimsby Beach Road, and was last seen alive about 10:30 o'clock on Thursday night when he got off a bus from Grimsby and entered his home.
The body was discovered by T.G. Mould, Grimsby Beach, who had been looking after the house during the family's absence. Going into the home on Saturday afternoon he heard the radio but got no answer to calls. He found the youth in bed and the cat and dog in the next room.
Investigation by Provincial Constables E.G. Hope and William Gillings revealed that the front damper of the furnace was open while the pipe damper was tightly closed.
Dr. A.F. McIntyre, coroner, ordered removal of the body to the Stonehouse Funeral Home where an autopsy was performed yesterday by Dr. L.M. Whittaker, a provincial pathologist of St. Catharines General Hospital. Authorities said that an inquest was unlikely.
Notified by telephone of the tragic happening, at Arlington, Texas, Mr. and Mrs. Graham flew home arriving on Monday night.
Surviving besides his sorrowing parents are one sister, Sylvia, who is attending McMaster University; one brother, James, and his grandmother, Mrs. James Graham, of Hamilton.
Funeral services were held yesterday afternoon from the Stonehouse Funeral Home, Rev. W.J. Watt officiating. Interment was in the family plot at Copetown.