No inquest will be held following drowning fatality
Grimsby Independent, 20 Aug 1942, p. 1,8
Media Type
Date of Publication
20 Aug 1942
Personal Name(s)
Thompson, Vernon Cecil
Language of Item
Geographic Coverage
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 43.20011 Longitude: -79.56631
Copyright Statement
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Grimsby Public Library
WWW address
Agency street/mail address

Grimsby Public Library

18 Carnegie Lane

Grimsby Ontario

Full Text

It was announced by Coroner C.W. Elmore of Beamsville last week that no inquest would be held into the death by drowning of Vernon Cecil Thompson of Montreal. Mr. Thompson met his death while swimming at the beach just east of Maple avenue last Thursday afternoon.

The actual cause of Mr. Thompson's death has not been ascertained, though medical men incline to the belief that he died after a fainting spell which came as he was "jumping the waves" with his 12 year old daughter, Marilyn. Rev. M.N. Omand, of North Bay, who assisted the deceased man's wife and daughter immediately after Mr. Thompson was stricken, said at the time he believed that he was breathing when he was brought from the water. During the three hours of artificial resuscitation carried out by members of the Stoney Creek fire department in a vain attempt to bring him round, considerable water was dislodged. As far as his family know, he was not previously subject to heart trouble.

High praise for the manner in which the deceased man's daughter acquitted herself in the emergency was heard on all sides. When she noticed her father's plight, she immediately held his head above water and called for help. Mrs. Thompson rushed into the water fully clothed and the two brought the unconscious form to the beach.

Help was forthcoming right away, and while a call was put in for medical assistance, men working at Hand's fishing station started the long and tedious work which was later taken over by the Stoney Creek firemen. Neighbouring cottagers brought hot coffee and sandwiches to the workers, who worked through without their noonday meal. Edward, Joseph and William Hand, and Cpl. Keith Brown, R.C.A.F., stationed at Trenton, were those who started the work.

Dr. A.F. McIntyre, the first doctor on the scene, remained until the end, and it was after nearly three hours of work with the inhalator brought from Stoney Creek that he pronounced life extinct. During the process he continued to inject stimulants into Mr. Thompson's veins. Dr. J.H. MacMillan, who visited the scene, administered adrenalin.

The Thompsons were staying at one of the Harvey cottages which Mr. Thompson's sister, Miss Edith Thompson, of Oxford, Nova Scotia, had rented for a few weeks.

Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.


No inquest will be held following drowning fatality