Former Grimsby boy drowned trying to save young girl from the same fate
Grimsby Independent, 3 Sep 1919, p. 1,5
Media Type
Item Type
Newspaper located at the Grimsby Museum
Date of Publication
3 Sep 1919
Personal Name(s)
Michener, Charlie ; Hunter, Dorothy
Language of Item
Geographic Coverage
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 43.20011 Longitude: -79.56631
Copyright Statement
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Grimsby Public Library
WWW address
Agency street/mail address

Grimsby Public Library

18 Carnegie Lane

Grimsby Ontario

Full Text

The following articles clipped from the Grand Forks, B.C. Daily will be of interest to many Grimsby people:

Grand Forks was plunged into deepest gloom early yesterday afternoon when the news spread of the drowning accident in which Charlie Michener gave his life in an attempt to save the life of Dorothy Hunter, 13 year old daughter of Simon Hunter, a mechanic with the Kettle Valley Railway, who with other girls were bathing in the Kettle River near the city park. As only children were present at the time it has been difficult to get a correct statement as to exactly how the unfortunate accident happened. It appears that Dorothy Hunter with her sister and several other girls went down to the river shortly after noon for a bath, and went in on the opposite side from the city park where the current is quite strong. They all had waded onto the water holding hands, and when out some distance Dorothy broke off with apparent intention of swimming. and although she went under the water her girl friends for a moment thought she was swimming. When she failed to come to the top again, they called to Charlie Michener who was mowing a lawn at his home, several hundred yards distant on the opposite side. He hurried to the water and when told of what happened at once jumped in and called to the girls to telephone for a doctor. Although handicapped by having his clothing and boots on, he swam across the river to where the girl had gone down and after diving was successful in bringing her to the surface and was attempting to bring her to shore when he suddenly let go and a moment later went down himself. In the meantime the girls had gone to several houses to try to give the alarm and precious moments were fleeting and it is thought to have been 20 minutes later that Dan Haggerty was attracted to the scene and rescued both bodies from the river. That of Charlie Michener was first recovered and Charlie Henderson who had then arrived, attempted first aid; a few minutes later Dr. Truax, Dr. Kingston and others arrived as a result of the phone call and although every effort was exerted for a period of two house on both victims to resuscitate them it was without avail. Marks on the body of Michener indicated there had been a struggle, and it is thought that the girl clutched him when he was attempting to bring her to shore, and he was unable to release himself, undoubtedly considerably exhausted by his running to the river and swimming immediately after eating, handicapped also by his clothing. Charlie Michener was born at Grimsby, Ontario 27 years ago, but had resided in Grand Forks with his parents for many years. To know him was to like him for he ever radiated sunshine by his cheery manner. History records no finer or more ennobling example of heroism than that typified by Charlie Michener yesterday in giving his own life in an attempt to save another - no one has done more and it well illustrates the sacrificing spirit which he has ever shown with those whom he came in contact. Although his physical condition was such that he might have escaped active service, he could not remain at home when he heard of the sacrifice of others overseas; he must take his place alongside... Besides his parents he leaves a brother residing in Vancouver, a sister residing in Danville, and two sisters at home. His mother, with Mrs. Gardner, was visiting at Paulson when the sad event occurred, and was motored home late last evening. The funeral is being held awaiting the arrival of his brother from Vancouver but will probably be held on Sunday. Genuine sorrow also goes out to Mr. and Mrs. Hunter in the untimely taking of their daughter, they having suffered a bereavement only a few months ago. The funeral will take place from the Methodist Church at 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon.

Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.


Former Grimsby boy drowned trying to save young girl from the same fate