William H. Richardson who passed away at his home in Brooklyn, N.Y. two weeks ago...was the first man to run a newspaper through a press in Grimsby, he performing that function in the office of the Grimsby Independent on the 26th day of November, 1885. The deceased was born in the county of Waterford, Ireland July 3, 1866, and came to Hamilton with his parents at the age of two years. After receiving his education in the public schools, he learned the printing trade. In the fall of 1885 he was working for the Spectator in Hamilton and it was here that Jas. A. Livingston found him and brought him to Grimsby. Livingston came to Grimsby in October 1885, and on the 30th day of October purchased a half interest in the Independent, a month later purchasing the other half. The paper at that time was set and printed in the office of the Paladium of Labor in Hamilton, the first sheet of its kind in Ontario. Three weeks after Livingston secured an interest in the paper a large amount of type and an old Washington hand press had been purchased and moved into the building that stood where the post office now stands. The next thing was to get a printer, and Richardson and a two-thirder by the name of Teddy Flynn were secured and on the 26th day of November that year Richardson printed the first Independent on the old Washington press. It was all arm-strong power and hand-set type in those days, linotypes and Miehle presses being unheard of. The deceased stayed in Grimsby with his family for several years, later going back to his old job on the Spectator where he was very successful. He had the distinction of being one of the first printers to use a linotype machine. He was the first compositor on the Spectator staff to use the linotype and was one of the most valued men in that department of the newspaper. For many years he was employed by the Spectator, where he is still remembered by many of his fellow-workmen. In 1899 he went to New York, and after working on various newspapers in that city, he finally secured a permanent "sit" on the New York Tribune, where he became a chairman of the chapel. He was employed by the Tribune for 17 years, after which he went into the real estate business... He leaves to mourn his loss, besides his widow, one daughter, Mrs. E. Greiner of Bay Ridge, N.Y.