In the afternoon of Sunday, March 28, 1920, in the afternoon of life, there passed Hugh Henry Anderson, at the allotted three score and ten, and thus closed an extreme active life. Mr. Anderson, who was one of Grimsby's respected and best known citizens, had been ill for several months, but it had been hoped by his friends that with the advent of spring he would regain at least a portion of his old time vigor. Hugh Henry Anderson was born in October, 1849, on the old Anderson homestead almost on the site of the present palatial home where he died. He was the third and youngest son of Hugh Henry Anderson and Jane Cutler, and a grandson of Charles Anderson, Sr., who was a United Empire Loyalist, and one of the earliest settlers in this part of Canada. In 1872 he was married to Margaret Clark Linton, and of this marriage three children were born: Edwin Everet, Henry (Harry) Clark Linton, and Lena May, now Mrs. C. Vernal Olmstead of Hamilton, all of whom survive. In 1884 the present home was erected, and about 25 years ago, Mr. Anderson started extensively into fruit growing. The Anderson holdings were large and at different times he sold off along what is now Robinson Street and which is built up the full length of the property; also the property along the mountain road which is also well populated. In the 80's, Mr. Anderson became connected with the Hamilton Provident Loan Association and acted as valuator for that corporation for many years when he became valuator in connection with the late P.D. Crerar of Hamilton, agent for the W.D. Long estate. On the death of Mr. Crerar the business was handed over to S.F. Washington, and with him Mr. Anderson did an extremely large business in Grimsby and the surrounding country. Due to his activities in a large measure was the extensive boom in Grimsby property for six or seven years previous to the war. In the earlier days it was a practice of "H.H." to say to a man who was struggling along: "There is a piece of land that you can make a good home out of; go on and build yourself a home and pay as you can." In this way more than one man got a start and there are several today on the same property they got so easily many years ago. A good part of the mountain road was built up in this way. Mr. Anderson, though not a politician, took a keen interest in elections and was generally to be found for a number of years on the Conservative executive. In school matters he was prominent and from the incorporation of the village in 1876 up to a few years ago was almost continuously a member of the school board, being secretary of the board for 32 years. When the Board of Education was formed and a paid secretary needed, Mr. Anderson resigned as secretary but continued to sit at the board and was prominent as a member of building committee when the new public and high schools were erected. When the Grimsby Methodist Camp Ground was formed in 1875, Mr. Anderson became connected with it and later on was for a number of years treasurer of the board. Through this connection he was thrown in touch with the entertainers and many notable preachers, lecturers and singers were invited guests of he and Mrs. Anderson at their home here.