Grimsby and locality are fortunate in having very few sensational episodes ... On Thursday last, Feb. 21, 1895, the 18 month old boy of Mr. and Mrs. Thos. Pearson, North Grimsby, by some means not yet definitely known, received a dose of carbolic acid from the effects of which he died 28 hours afterwards. At the time of the accident (if accident it was) there was no one in the house with the child but a little girl named Luella Lacey, aged 13 years, who was living with the Pearson family as a servant girl. After the death of the child, Magistrate Forbes had the servant arrested on suspicion and remanded her to St. Catharines jail for six days. Coroner Goodman of St. Catharines was notified and a post mortem examination held by Drs. Alexander and Millward. The Coroner's inquest was held in the town hall Monday at 11:00 a.m. and it was after eight in the evening before a verdict was returned. [illegible, one paragraph] Mrs. Pearson swore that on Wednesday night, her brother, Harvey Hurst brought to the house a bottle containing carbolic acid and sugar of lead, to be used on a wound on a horse. He placed the bottle on a low bureau quite within the reach of a child. [illegible, one sentence]. Her brother said, "It is rank poison" and took it and put it on a cupboard about seven feet high in the kitchen. ... [details of the testimony] ... The jury found as follows: 1) we are of the opinion that the child, Frank Wilfred Pearson came to his death by taking into his mouth and throat and stomach, carbolic acid or some other irritant poison. 2) That we find that the irritant poison came from the bottle produced at the inquest. 3) That we find the child did not get it from the bottle by its own action. 4) We are therefore of the opinion that the deceased came to his death by means of carbolic acid administered by some person or persons unknown.