With his only daughter, Mrs. (Dr.) Fred A. Roseburgh, and a few near friends at his bedside, Edgar Judson Palmer, one of Grimsby's early pioneers, passed away into the great beyond on Thursday morning last in his 91st year, thus severing a link with the early days of Grimsby. He was endowed with that spirit of progressiveness which was one of the outstanding factors of the early pioneers, and especially so of the Palmer family who came to this district from New Jersey with the United Empire Loyalists in 1790 and received a crown grant of 200 acres of land. The deceased was born on the mountain in the township of Grimsby on June 4, 1837. After farming, he decided to enter mercantile life, and for several years conducted a general store business with the late Alexander Allen at Beamsville. Later he established a general store business in Grimsby, and for many years was the most prominent merchant in the district.
He was prominent in the incorporation of the Village and his name appears many times in the minutes of the meeting held prior to the incorporation of Grimsby as a Village in 1876. His work in this connection won him a place on the first village council and he remained on the council for 5 years.
His passing removes the last of this body of public spirited men. He was also the first member of the Water Commission, and acted in the position of Treasurer and collector. He filled this position during the early days of the Water Commission without remuneration. He also served on the school board and was prominent in any project for the advancement of Grimsby and the welfare of its citizens.
Giving up business some thirty years ago, Mr. Palmer lived a retired life at his beautiful home, Leighton, on Paton Street. In religion he was a devout member of the United Church, and was a very active member in politics, being a Liberal and a strong supporter of his party. In 1873 Mr. Palmer married Emma Caleman of Bowmanville, who predeceased him in December 1919. There were two children, a son who died as an infant and a daughter, Mrs. (Dr.) Fred A. Roseburgh, of Hamilton, who survives. The funeral took place on Saturday afternoon from his late residence, interment being made in Queen's Lawn Cemetery. Many of the older members of the town gathered to pay tribute, as did Mayor A. Hewson and Reeve Fonger, representing the town.