Just 50 years ago this morning - April 5, 1895 - at three o'clock, all Grimsby was aroused by the clanging of the fire alarm. The Carpenter Basket Factory was ablaze. It burned to the ground and was never rebuilt. It was the first factory in Canada to manufacture fruit baskets. The old rambling frame building stood on the vacant land and the land now occupied by the Heathcote Electric, on Main West at the top of Palmer's hill. Another stone building adjoining, that housed the Mechanics Institute, was also burned. The books were all saved. That building belonged to the Mabey estate. Then, as now, Grimsby had a crack fire department but they did not have the equipment and facilities to fight a big blaze like Chief LePage and his men now have.