Car stalls upon tracks Grimsby man meets death
Media Type
Item Type
p. 1,7
Date of Publication
10 Feb 1944
Date Of Event
3 Feb 1944
Personal Name(s)
Greenwood, Arthur S. ; Greenwood, Howard ; Greenwood, William ; Greenwood, Charles
Language of Item
Copyright Statement
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Grimsby Public Library
WWW address
Agency street/mail address

Grimsby Public Library

18 Carnegie Lane

Grimsby Ontario

Full Text

When his car stalled on the railway tracks on Depot Street, shortly before noon on Thursday last, 73 year old Arthur S. Greenwood, Maple Avenue, Grimsby, was instantly killed by a fast freight before he could reach safety. The freight, which was composed of 43 cars hauling coal, was travelling westward and the force of the impact hurled the car 132 feet onto a siding nearby. According to the watchman, John Chambers, Mr. Greenwood was driving south on Depot Street and at the C.N.R. crossing his car had stalled on the west-bound tracks. Eye witnesses on the scene stated that the crossing gates were up although a train at the time was in the distance. They added that it was so far distant as to make it unnecessary for the gates to be lowered. The watchman, knowing that the train was almost due, shouted at the driver of the car to leave his vehicle and get to safety at once. At the same time the gates were dropped. Mr. Greenwood was then seen to leave his car by the left-hand door, the side to which the train was approaching. Mr. Greenwood then walked around the car toward the front, it was reported, at which point the watchman again shouted a warning. Mr. Greenwood, the police were told, then started to walk away from the car but he walked west, the same direction in which the train was proceeding. The elderly man had proceeded not more that two or three feet when the extra freight, 6148, in charge of Conductor H.A. McLean and Engineer F. Jackson, ploughed into the stalled car. Both car and owner were struck almost simultaneously, the car being hurled about 132 feet to a siding near a fruit platform, while Mr. Greenwood was thrown about 20 feet to the side of the track. The car was totally demolished and Mr. Greenwood was found to have been killed instantaneously.

Two eye witnesses of the tragedy, John Fulford, truck driver, South Grimsby, and R.F. Cooper, Grimsby, corroborated the story told by the watchman, John Chambers. The engineer told police that he saw the stalled car and applied the emergency brakes and that this had slowed the train to a speed of about 30 miles an hour when the crash took place. He added that the train was a heavy one and that he could not apply the emergency brake full force without derailing the train.

Dr. C.W. Elmore, coroner, Beamsville; Chief Constable W.W. Turner, Grimsby, and Provincial Constables Bowen and Hart investigated. The body was removed to the Stonehouse Funeral Home.

The late Arthur Greenwood was a retired druggist. He came to Grimsby 14 years ago and took up fruit farming after operating a drug store in Palmerston for 23 years. He was in his 74th year. Surviving, besides his wife, are two sons, Howard, of Toronto, and Arthur, of Cleveland; also two brothers, William, of Rochester, and Charles, of Colborne. Private funeral services were held on Saturday and interment was made at Toronto.

Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.


Car stalls upon tracks Grimsby man meets death