Police probe ordered in death of former resident
Grimsby Independent, 5 Nov 1942, p. 1, 7

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Publication:
5 Nov 1942
Date Of Event:
2 Nov 1942
Personal Name(s):
Radford, Henry
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 43.20011 Longitude: -79.56631
Copyright Statement:
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Grimsby Public Library
WWW address
Agency street/mail address

Grimsby Public Library

18 Carnegie Lane

Grimsby Ontario

Full Text

Henry E. Radford was well known in Grimsby, he having resided here for a few years with his family on Nelles Boulevard. He was connected with the Metal Craft Co. as manager.

A police investigation of the facts surrounding the death of Henry E. Radford,53, president and general manager of the Prince George Hotel, Toronto, who died in St. Michael's Hospital, Toronto, Monday morning, has been ordered following an autopsy.

The hotel man suffered a fractured skull as the result of a blow received early Friday morning in the hotel.

Inspector John Vernon, of Toronto Police, said Radford was struck in the face while attempting to hurry a group of persons out of the hotel following a dance given under the auspices of a Toronto firm. The manager was lining up a group of men to get their coats when one of the men refused to get in line, and struck Radford, the blow blackening an eye and breaking his glasses, Inspector Vernon said.

Police were called, but the hotel manager, apparently not badly hurt, said he did not want to prosecute anyone. The man said to have struck the blow was taken home by friends in a taxi. Mr. Radford went to his home, at 6 Neville Park Boulevard, early Sunday. In the afternoon he complained of feeling ill, and shortly after lapsed into unconsciousness. Removed to St. Michael's Hospital, he died the following morning.

Mr. Radford was born in Malden, Mass., and was educated in that city and in Montreal. He was connected with several business concerns before moving to Toronto in 1911. In 1939 he was appointed general manager of the Prince George and became president the following year. He is survived by his widow, four daughters and a brother and sister.

Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Police probe ordered in death of former resident